Sunday, July 20, 2008

6 of 40 LEDs have gone bad.

I tested each LED that I have wired up separately and have discovered hat 6 out of 40 of them are not lighting up. (Powered each individually with a 180 ohm resistor.) I did no test the remaining LEDs that are wired up because my power cable was too short to reach them. I guess I better test them all.

I've contacted the ebay seller I bought these from to see if I can get some manufacturing info to verify the specs he gave me are correct. I can't believe that I could have blown out six of them in probably less than an hour of total use unless something is really wrong with those specs. I guess maybe I should use a much larger resistor just in case? I would assume underpowering an LED won't cause damage? Just make it dimmer? I suppose it is worth a try.

I'm leaning towards these LEDs just being cheap and crappy. (The Ebay seller did list them as High Quality LEDs, so I'm sure that can't be the case...)

No comments: