Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wiring finished

So I've been lazy and haven't done much to the table in a while. I did finish all of the wiring and have all of the LEDs turning on at once though. I managed to do a bit of testing and see that I am getting good blobs of IR showing up with the camera.

I cut down part of a floppy disk to add as the filter on the camera and it seems to work okay. I had an issue that when I had the filter on I wasn't seeing the blobs brightly enough. This was most likely due to the fact that I had the Rosco Grey projection material underneath the acrylic. I had read that the Rosco Grey acts like a bit of an IR filter but was hoping that it would still work fine. Guess not. I've moved the Rosco Grey to the top of the acrylic but haven't re-tested the performance yet.

If all this works then I will need to calibrate the detection software, put legs on the table, mount the camera, and mount the projector. (Discovering the right table top height and angle for use with the projector will be the tricky part, assuming the projector at work that I will be using will even work for this..)

The top is still pretty ugly and needs something to cover the guts of it. With the Rosco Grey on top I will need to do something to make sure it stays tightly stretched over the acrylic as well, so hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone.

With the Rosco Grey on top I think I will also look into creating a compliant surface material out of some liquid latex. (Makes the IR blobs show up better without requiring as much force to be applied to the table, makes blobs show up better when dragging your finger, and some other benefits.

So there is still alot to do.

No comments: