Sunday, October 26, 2008

Compliant Surface sort of successful...

The compliant surface didn't end up as a nice smooth surface. There is a bit of streaking due to the silicone not leveling itself out very well. I believe this was probably due to me taking too long to smooth it out. However, the camera can now pick up my fingertip touches very well through the rosco projection screen without me having to use much pressure.

One problem I'm seeing is a ghosting effect where the trails of my fingertip movements are staying on the screen. I'm hoping that this is due to the silicone having not finished curing all the way yet. I need to do some research into this effect to see if there is anything I can do about it.

The other problem that I'm afraid I'm going to have is a poor image quality when I hook this up to a projector. The surface is visibly not smooth and reflects light a bit differently in spots. It is very possible that it will look fine, but I think I'll end up with spots that are brighter/darker than others. (Not that big of a deal if the touch screen works well..)

I have plenty of silicone left if I want to give it another shot. Plus there is another method I read about for applying this stuff that allows you to use much cheaper silicone along with a paint roller. Sounds like it is MUCH easier to get right then the method I used, so I might give that a try if the current surface doesn't work out.

Sorry, no pictures. Considering the acrylic and silicone are both clear, the pictures I took really don't show anything that you can't see in the previous pictures.

Now it is time to build the frame. I have come up with a design that will make the height and angle of the table adjustable, so the exact projector placement doesn't have to be known in advance. (I keep forgetting to bring the work projector home to try out and it gets used a good bit, so I don't want to accidentally leave it at home after borrowing it...)

Once the frame is done I'll probably just take it to work to finish rather than bringing the projector home... maybe...

No comments: